Friday, April 13, 2007

Egg on my face

I am so thankful for God protection this morning. I was making a simple egg yolk in the microwave for Abby this morning (she can't have highly allergenic egg whites yet) and had cooked the yolk in a small custard cup that has become standard for our microwave egg adventures. I was pretty sure the yolk was all cooked so I took it out of the microwave and, while holding the custard cup, proceeded to cut into the yolk with a fork to make sure it wasn't runny.

BAM! The yolk exploded. I screamed as I felt hot steam and yolk in my face and dropped the custard cup. I blinked a few times and realized that I didn't seem to have hot yolk in my eyes and my vision was just cloudy for a few seconds. Some yolk did land on my elbow and gave me a very minor burn. But, other than REALLY needing a shower, I'm unscathed. I am SO thankful God spared my eyes. I'm sure I could easily have done permanent damage to my vision.

If I'd been thinking clearly, I would have taken pictures of the egg on my face and in my hair (and all over my kitchen.) But, I was pretty shaken and still had a hungry daughter to feed! (I'll let you just wonder whether I picked the egg off my kitchen floor to feed her.)

2 comments:

Ian said...

if you put some liquids in the microwave they can actually get to much higher than their boiling point without turning into vapor- something about surface tension causes this, i think. once you break the surface when it's out of the microwave, BOOM! I'm glad you weren't hurt, it's not a fun science phenomenon when it happens to you.

i think you can avoid it by just microwaving on low... that'll get the egg cooked at a lower temp after a longer time, right?

Mike said...

The yolk exploded? Whoa. Scary, huh?


Mike
http://somethingaboutparenting.typepad.com/